Translate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Why is ur Blog Called Return of the Ninja??

My blog is called "Return of the Ninja" cause its a combination of two of my favorite things in life: Star Wars and Ninjas!! Also they both embody the essence and spirit of this Goldsteig journey for me, so the name stuck.

First off: Star Wars!
       Some of my earliest memories as a kid were of watching "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back", and " Return of the Jedi" on VHS with my brothers. And being so young, we really really thought that a long time ago in some galaxy far far away the rebel alliance smashed the empire to smithereens and the only reason we were alive and able to enjoy these films was due to the fact that the Empire never had the chance to conquer our planet. I can't even tell you how many hours me and my brothers spent as kids trying to use the force to move household objects. Somehow too we'd always convince ourselves that the cup or whatever moved even just a little bit. As we got older though, reality kinda started to seep in and the idea that maybe they're just movies began to take over.
                    I never liked the fact that our coolest and most daring adventures are lived vicariously through other characters on a movie screen or the pages of a book; so I started creating my own adventures in endurance racing. I liken this Goldsteig adventure closely to Return of the Jedi cause like Luke who discovered his true self and powers in the previous movies, ROTJ is his real chance to put his Jedi powers to the test. I've learned so much about myself and what I'm capable of in my previous races. This Goldsteig Race is the ultimate showdown.

Secondly: Ninja power


           Anyone who knew me as a kid knew I was obsessed with Ninjas. That's not an exaggeration. I had the outfit, shoes, swords, throwing stars, bo staffs, books on their fighting techniques, and anything else I could get my hands on ninja related. But unlike my little brothers who liked the anime Naruto, I never cared for the cartoon version of ninjas. I wanted to be a REAL ninja.
                 What intrigued me about Ninjas were their mystique. They were surrounded by legend and had seemingly impossible powers. Their opponents had no chance to fight them since they never knew they were even there. Yet they were real people, not fake characters in a comic book. Their strength though lied in the minds of their opponents. They knew no matter how much honor or armor a samurai has, underneath it all there's a human mind that can question its own abilities. Playing on this universal human weakness gave ninjas their seemingly superhuman strength.
                     To become a ninja not only did you have to control the mind of your opponents but you first had to learn to control your own mind. That's the tricky part and why not everyone can be a ninja; you have to come to grips with your own fear. Most of my closest friends probably don't know how obsessed with ninjas I was as a kid and secretly still am. But I guarantee you if you find me in a rough spot of a race you'll hear me chanting to myself "I'm a Ninja".

No comments:

Post a Comment