Translate

Friday, July 25, 2014

mental strength

Let me start off by saying, I love the feeling of having strength as much as the next guy. I enjoy that feeling of weilding power and knowing that I'm the man. When I say shit and people listen. When I set out to do something it gets done. It doesn't matter cause I'm in charge and I walk around everywhere with confidence. Feeling like a champion and getting respect, That feels awesome.

But the truth is though, that classic strength as we imagine it is an illusion that can only be maintained if we're never humbled. Mental strength is the only real kind of strength because no matter how strong you are, you have a breaking point. Accepting that as a reality and learning to work with it is called the real world. This is why Navy SEALS in BUDS training don't look like abercrombie and fitch models, they look like cold, wet, shivering chihuahuas.

I knew from early on in my sports endeavors though that I wasn't the physical kind of strong like most star athletes, but the mental kind. In school I was a tall, scrony, lanky, 6", 135lb, awkward teenager and as one coach put it I had the arms of a 10yr old Asian girl. I was one of the slowest water polo swimmers never quite making the varsity team and lacked the upper body strength to really excel in wrestling. But I knew that whichever exercise everyone liked doing the least, I could do the longest; I was mentaly tough. Never achieving much in highschool sports I always sort of resented my mental strength though cause I felt it wasn't worth anything. 

Once I started endurance sports I began exceling quickly cause I already knew what it was like to reach my breaking point and be forced to continue. I was familiar with feeling powerless most of my life and this was nothing new. My determination and fire though came from knowing that this time it would be worth it. This time I'd finally see the value of my strength. This time I was gonna be a somebody.

I think its funny now looking at jocks who walk around with shirts that say things like "all day everyday", "can't stop won't stop" or stupid stuff like that cause I know they don't really know what it's like to "go hard 24/8". Even Navy SEALS get to sleep a total of 5hrs throughout hell week.
Me with race director John Wog after the Big Bear 100, May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment